Reply To: [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature

Home Forums OpenEars [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature Reply To: [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature

wfilleman
Participant

Thanks Halle,

I was digging into the framework when I saw that vadThreshold was how you describe is as a relative speech/silence threshold. That’s good to know.

I’ve set the vadTheshold to 3.0 and ran a couple of tests with background music from the radio at different volume levels. Overall it seems to be a little better. Now that I know what I’m looking for I can see that it is indeed adjusting to the various sound levels. When the music levels are above what I would say is just background music, it’s really tough to get OE to process the speech, but again, I’m asking a lot of the engine to throw out louder than background music and pull out my speech.

You are right, it’s a fine balance between upping the threshold and keeping it within speech detecting tolerance.

I may offer my users an option to say if they are installing this in a noisy room. If YES then I can set the vadThreshold to 3.0. If no, leave it as the default. What do you think?

Wes