Reply To: [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature

Home Forums OpenEars [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature Reply To: [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature

wfilleman
Participant

I’m looking at this a little deeper and I *think* what I’m actually seeing is the OE framework adjusting to the different volume levels quite rapidly. For example, if I have a steady tone as background noise, OE pretty quickly sees this as noise and ignores it. I can then issue speech and it does pretty well.

If I’m playing music with various beat levels, I see OE struggle a little bit trying to determine what to ignore as noise since it’s seeing the threshold cross all over the place with the beat of the music.

I’m wondering if there’s a way to level this auto-adjustment out by increasing the number of frames OE considers for the “noise level” if that makes sense. For example, if OE only looks at a few frames, then the “noise” level would be rapidly changing from low to high and back. If OE looks at a larger group of frames as a moving average, then these intermediate spikes of noise could be leveled out and ignored.

Just my guess, but I think that’s what I’m actually seeing. Adjusting the vadThreshold is a way to work around this issue by forcing a larger discrepancy, but if (what I suspect) is a single frame of louder noise, it punches through the vadThreshold since the low/high detection appears to be pretty tight in terms of a low number of frames to analyze.

There’s no easy answer here as what I’m suggesting would have other tradeoffs as well if I’m even close to the issue.

Wes