Reply To: [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature

Home Forums OpenEars [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature Reply To: [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature

OT
Participant

To add to this thread: in my (somewhat limited) testing with both my app and the sample app, the threshold between 2.5 and 3 works well. Default value of 1.5 seems to be too low.

(my testing was with Apple’s headset; with default levels ‘speech’ gets detected even with minor noise that’s far from the mic)

The main issue with the lower values is the end-pointing, which can affect the flow of the application. In other words, even if there is a false speech detection trigger (e.g. noise, bgnd speech, etc.), decoder will typically deal without any problems with that. But, those noise levels that triggered vad and started recognition will also prevent it to end, after user said what they were supposed to say.

This may not be an issue with RapidEars where decoding is done in the real time (so decoder is effectively doing VAD).