Reply To: [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature

Home Forums OpenEars [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature Reply To: [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature

wfilleman
Participant

Thanks Halle, my apologies on not mentioning that earlier.

Your comment did give me an idea to try. I went back to setting the audio mode as Default, but actually, I didn’t notice any difference with regards to the VAD or the background noise root issue that I’m investigating.

The reason I need to use the audioMode value of “VoiceChat” is so I can issue system sounds while the mic is on. With using the “default” value for the audioMode, I have to use an AVAudioPlayer object which causes a lag or delay in the issuance of the sound which won’t work in my application.

My IP Camera streaming code uses AudioUnits and that works regardless of which audioMode I use.

Regardless of which option I use, the behavior of the voice recognition and treatment of the background noise seems to be the same to me.

I ended up setting the VAD to the default of 2.0 and giving the user the option to increase this up to 3.5 according to the user’s variable noise environment based on feedback and my testing.

I think I’ve exhausted the options at this point and it’s as good as it’s going to get with the current implementation from CMU. Overall this is an improvement especially since I can offer the use a way to tune to their variable noise environment…something we didn’t have access to before.

I’m considering this topic closed at this point. If I find anything of interest I’ll post back. Otherwise, looking forward to any continual feature enhancements!

Wes