Reply To: [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature

Home Forums OpenEars [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature Reply To: [Resolved] Clarifications on the improved background noise cancellation feature

Halle Winkler
Politepix

Most of the audio session settings are the same in both versions, so if it isn’t just a new device difference or new iOS SDK version difference masquerading as an OpenEars difference (volume levels vary a lot from SDK version to SDK version and from device to device in my experience), I think it will tend to come down to the new version of OpenEars defaulting to audio session mixing now since that’s the only dramatic change. If you wanted to verify that, you could remove the option ‘AVAudioSessionCategoryOptionMixWithOthers’ from the audio session initialization in OEContinuousAudioUnit.m and archive, and see if it returns to the behavior you saw in 1.7. At the moment there is a bug in archiving which means you need to keep your original acoustic models and then drag them back over the archiving-created models after you’ve made your archive; otherwise you can get an error when uploading your app.

A near-future OpenEars version will have the ability to opt out of mixing since I’ve had a case reported where it was desirable to suppress, but I wanted to square away the accuracy/VAD issues first before making any API additions.