[Resolved] calling suspendRecognition on pocketsphinxRecognitionLoopDidStart

Home Forums OpenEars [Resolved] calling suspendRecognition on pocketsphinxRecognitionLoopDidStart

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Author
    maxgarmar
    Participant

Hi Halle,

Another one. When I start my app, I don’t want the library listening directly, must be intended by the user so I am using this code.

- (void) pocketsphinxRecognitionLoopDidStart {

[[OEPocketsphinxController sharedInstance] suspendRecognition];

NSLog(@"Local callback: Pocketsphinx started."); // Log it.

}

The thing is that when I am debugging it does suspend but when I am using the app normally it does not (I guess because when is trying to suspend is not started up completely).

I guessed that this method is called back when everything is up and running, but perhaps I am wrong. Should I use it in other way ? am I wrong?

Thanks

Halle Winkler
    Politepix

Yes, please don’t start and immediate call suspend. Startup should be fast enough now that there is no more calibration time that it should not be necessary.

maxgarmar
    Participant

But then, when should I call to suspendRecognition? If I don’t want my app listening when it starts.

Halle Winkler
    Politepix

I’m saying that there is no reason to start listening until you want to listen. The method is called startListening etc.

Halle Winkler
    Politepix

To be more specific: starting listening and calling suspend is a workaround that developers came up with in order to hide the calibration time from users. It was a bad workaround because it resulted in the calibration being done against a different environment than the speech which arrived at some arbitrary later point, so you can find a few different 1.x threads here in which I recommend that developers not do it. Now there is no longer any reason for the workaround, since there is no calibration time when you start up, so it’s a good time to let go of the workaround architecture in which startListening is called at a time in which you don’t want to start listening.

maxgarmar
    Participant

ok

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.