open ears and sleep button

Home Forums OpenEars open ears and sleep button

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Author

Will open ears still operate after person has hit the sleep button?

Lets say I press the sleep button on my Iphone so that I can place it in my pocket without worry of pocket dialing someone; but I want open ears to still be able to recognize my voice and respond, is this possible?

Halle Winkler
    Politepix

I don’t know offhand so I’d just recommend trying it on the sample app, but the answer is most likely no for the reasons explained in this StackOverflow question:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8198220/nstimer-events-do-no-occur-when-screen-locked-on-ios-5

Without being able to react to events, it’s unlikely that a speech recognition engine is going to do much.

Halle,

Thanks for the response and link!
    This is crazy that apple won’t allow apps to run once the screen has been locked! There must be a way around this… I’ll keep looking…

Halle Winkler
    Politepix

Well, it isn’t that they don’t run, it’s that they cut down on notifications and timer processes to save battery. I think it’s probably more about enduser expectations about what happens when they press the lock button than Apple being controlling, since pocket dialing is probably not a big worry due to the touch interface.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.