Running TAAE after OpenEars (+repro demo)

Home Forums OpenEars Running TAAE after OpenEars (+repro demo)

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Author
    warpling
    Participant

Hi Halle,

I’ve been trying to solve this bug for the last 48 hours hoping I wouldn’t have to bug you, but I’m at my ends limit.

I’ve created a minimal project for reproduction of a strange incompatibility I’ve been having with The Amazing Audio Engine. I know you don’t necessarily guarantee that OpenEars will work with other frameworks, but if you would check out what’s going on it’d really appreciate it. I’m going to go ahead and reach out to Michael from TAAE too to see if he can weigh in as well.

I explain the problem in more detail in the repo, but the code is documented as well. Please let me know if I can clarify anything further.

warpling
    Participant
    Halle Winkler
    Politepix

Welcome,

Sorry you’re having an issue. I have no expectation of this working without conflicts, so I can’t help with it much. The crash is in a TAEE method so I don’t have any insight on what that is happening.

For your own further troubleshooting I recommend that you turn on all of the OpenEars logging, since that is likely to tell you what is going on before the crash scenarios (and should also be shared with me when you have bugs you want to discuss):

https://www.politepix.com/forums/topic/install-issues-and-their-solutions/

warpling
    Participant

Thanks Halle,

Thats okay, I by no means expect you to debug my code. I was just hoping you might have some idea of what OpenEars is doing behind the scene that could affect TAAE. I’d dig deeper myself but I can’t see the source of OpenEars to figure out what may be happening.

I examined the verbose logs of OE, but could not determine much since OE isn’t running/logging when TAAE crashes.

I narrowed the problem down to the calls to AEFloatConverterToFloat(...) (source). This function takes an AEFloatConverter, AudioBufferList, float output buffers, and a number of frames. The malloc error tends to occur only after OE has been started and stopped prior to starting TAAE so my thinking is that OE is changing the size or number of objects in the AudioBufferList, or the number of frames, and TAAE isn’t expecting or ready for the change but I’ve been unable to observe that. Doubling the size of the buffers seems to prevent the error even after starting/stopping OE.

warpling
    Participant

Michael from TAAE took a look and caught a stupid malloc sizing issue I was making on [line 107](https://github.com/warpling/AudioEngineAndOpenEarsDemo/blob/master/AudioEngineAndOpenEarsDemo/ViewController.m#L107) (self.streamFormat.mBytesPerFrame should really be sizeof(float). It’s unclear why starting/stoping OE before using the buffers again exposed my mistake. Sorry for taking your time! This issue is closed.

Halle Winkler
    Politepix

Awesome, thank you for the followup and thanks to Michael for helping.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.