1. Sparrows are attracted by birdseed.
2. If you attract sparrows, kestrels will come to hunt the sparrows.
3. You want to see kestrels, but you don’t want to unwittingly engineer a sparrow slaughter.
4. Crows are attracted by peanuts.
5. Crows repel kestrels, but only until they’ve removed all of the peanuts, and,
6. This isn’t a logic problem, it’s business as usual on our balcony in the coldest winter months when E. feeds the birds who need a little extra help.
So who was on the balcony this winter?